Dr. M. Nasim Khan (Tamgha-e-Imtiaz)
Meritorious Professor, Department of Archaeology, University of Peshawar, Pakistan
Visiting Professor, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia
Visiting Research Fellow, Soka University, Japan
Visiting Scholar Cambridge University, UK
- DAAD Fellow 1999 (Germany)
- Charles Wallace Fellow 2000/2001(UK)
- Hirayama Fellow 2001(UK)
- Hirayama Fellow 2002 (UK)
- Royal Asiatic Society Visiting Fellow 2002 (UK)
- Royal Asiatic Society Visiting Fellow 2003 (UK)
- Visiting Scholar 2007, Cambridge University (UK)
- British Academy Visiting Scholar 2009/2010, Cambridge University, UK
- Visiting Professor JNU University, Dehli, India (2010)
Meritorious Professor, Department of Archaeology, University of Peshawar
Convenor: Ancient and Medieval Gandhāra Research Group
Convenor: National Curriculum Revision Committee for Archaeology (Higher Education Commission of Pakistan)
Founder/Editor: Gandhāran Studies
Founding Member and Country Coordinator, Society for Buddhist Art and Archaeology (SBAA).
Founder: Pakistan Journal of Anthropology
Editor: Frontier Archaeology
Fellow: Fellow Member of the Royal Asiatic Society
Founding Member: Board of Trustees for the Central Asian Numismatic Institute, UK
Member: Steering Committee for Archaeology, Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
Member: Subcommittee on Archaeology, Higher Education Commission of Pakistan.
Member: Central Purchase Committee, University of Peshawar
Member: Board of Studies, Department of Archaeology, Punjab University
Member: Graduate Studies, Department of Archaeology, Hazara University
Member: Board of Studies, Department of Archaeology, Hazara University
Member: Board of Studies, Department of Art and Design, Hazara University
Member: Board of Studies, Department of Tourism & Hotel Managment, University of Malakand
HEC approved Ph.D. supervisor
Ph.D. 1995 (With distinction) (Sorbonne Nouvelle Paris III - FRANCE)
Thor Nord, Helor Das Ouest, Helor Das Est. Publication de Trois Sites Archéologiques de la Haute Vallee de l'Indus.
M.Phil 1991 (Department of Archaeology, University of Peshawar - Pakistan).
The Kharoshthi Script, its Origin and Development.
M.Phil 1990 (Sorbonne Nouvelle Paris III - FRANCE)
Les Inscriptions Kharoshthi de Taxila.
Licence 1989 (Sorbonne Nouvelle Paris III - FRANCE)
(B.A) Étude de l'Histoire Indienne et de Langues Sanskrite,
M.A. 1984 (First Class with distinction)
(Department of Archaeology, University of Peshawar – PAKISTAN).
B.A. 1979 (University of Peshawar - PAKISTAN).
Distinctions and appreciations
Fellow of the Royal Asiatic Society – London
First Visiting Fellow of the Royal Asiatic Society, London. Awarded twice
First Recipient of the Charles Wallace Pakistan Trust, tenable at the Institute of Archaeology University College London
Ph.D. with distinction; Sorbonne University, Paris -FRANCE.
First M.Phil. Graduate of the Department of Archaeology, University of Peshawar, PAKISTAN.
First Pakistani graduate with double M.Phil. and a Ph.D in the field of Archaeology. The second one was awarded by the Sorbonne University, Paris - FRANCE.
M.A. Archaeology (Gold Medal), University of Peshawar, PAKISTAN.
Pakistan Higher Education Commission Approved Ph.D Supervisor.
Founder of “Gandharan Studies”, a research journal
- Scientific Collaborator - Heidelberg Academy of Sciences and Humanities Heidelberg , Germany
- Special Assistant in South Asian Numismatics, British Museum – London, UK
- Visiting Scholar Cambridge University
Teaching and seminars abraod
Teaching to the postgraduate students (second term) at the Institute of Archaeology, University College London, London University, UK
Lectures/seminars at the British Museum London, UK
Seminars at Freie University Berlin – Germany
Lecture/Seminar at the British Museum, London, UK
Seminar at the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, UK
Seminar at the Freie University Berlin – Germany
Seminar at the British Museum, London, UK
ONS Seminar at the British Museum, London –UK (16th July 2006)
2005 – First International Symposium – Latest Discoveries in the Cultural Heritage of Ancient Gandhara and Other Parts of Pakistan. Organised by the Department of Archaeology, University of Peshawar.
2008 - 2nd International Symposium – Latest Discoveries in the Cultural Heritage of Ancient Gandhara and Other Parts of Pakistan (August 2-6, 2008). Organised by the Department of Archaeology, University of Peshawar.
2012 – Latest Archaeological Investigations in Pakistan (November 13-15, 2012). Golden Jubilee Celebrations of the Department of Archaeology, University of Peshawar.
1997- Pak-Japan Colloquium on Gandhara “Significance of Gandhara in Human History” (5-8 September). Organised by the Taxila Institute of Central Asian Civilizations, Qauid-i-Azam University, Islamabad.
1998- National Seminar on ‘Pakistan Archaeology’, Bara Gali Summer Campus, Organised by the Department of Archaeology, University of Peshawar.
2001-National Seminar on ‘Pakistan Archaeology’, Bara Gali Summer Campus, Organised by the Department of Archaeology, University of Peshawar.
2002-South Asian Landscape Archaeology Conference, Organised by the Institute of Archaeology, University College London, UK, 2003
2003- 17th International Conference on South Asian Archaeology (7-11th July), Bonn, Germany
2003-Oxford Symposium (15th-17th September 2004) on ‘Indian Numismatics, Epigraphy and Archaeology, Recent Advances in Reconstructing the Past’. Organised by the Ashmolean Museum, The University of Oxford, UK
2005-18th International Conference on South Asian Archaeology (4-8th July, London), UK
2005- Secretary to the 1st International Symposium on Pakistan Archaeology (September 2005)
2007- First Centenary of the Peshawar Museum Peshawar NWFP (January 8-10, 2007)
2007-First International Conference on Gandhara at the Crossroads of Civilizations – Art and Architecture (Lahore, 10-12th April 2007)
2008-Secretary to 2nd International Symposium organised by the Department of Archaeology, University of Peshawar
2010. 20th European Association for South Asian Archaeology, July 2010. Vienna
2011. International Conference of on the archaeology of Western Himalaya (October 2011). Vienna
2012. National Conference of Chaukundi Monuments in Sind, Pakistan (25th February 2012)
2012. International Conference on Rediscovering the Silk Route (September 5-7, 2012).Orgainsed by the Department of Archaeology, Hazara University.
2012. International Conference on Latest Archaeological Investiagtions in Pakistan (Peshawar) (13-15th November)
2014. 2014 International Symposium on Dazu Studies and the 70th Anniversary Celebrating the 1st Investigation into Dazu Rock Carvings. Dazu-China
2006. Activation Workshop of Higher Education (HEC) and British Council (BC) Joint Higher Education Links Programme (6th May 2006)
2007. Higher Education Commission (HEC) and Higher Education Links (HEL) Networking Workshop (12 December 2007)
2008. Learning Workshop on Higher Education Commission (HEC) and British Council (BC) Joint Higher Education Links Programme (25th March 2008).
In the years 1985-1987 has taken part to the excavations of the Pak-British Bannu Archaeological Mission under the direction of Prof. Farid Khan, Mr. Robert Knox and Prof. Dr. K.D. Thomas
In the years 1993-1997 he has taken part to the campaigns of the joint Pak-German Archaeological mission in Pakistan.
In 1998 and 1999 he has directed survey, documentation and linguistic study in Swat and Dir Kohistan under the project “Cultural Area Karakorum”.
From 1999 he has been engaged in studying an important collection of Kharosthi manuscripts discovered in Gandhāra.
Since 2001 he has been directing the Kashmir Smast Archaeological Research Project Smast.
From 2005 he is co-directing Pak-UK Pushkalavati Archaeological Research Project.
Since the year 2007 he has also been excavating at Aziz Dheri, the only Stūpa and Settlement site in ancient Gandhāra.
Since 2007, in collaboration with Dr. Michael Alram of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, he has been running the project “Pre-Islamic Numismatic Historic in Greater Gandhāra”.
From 2007 he is the Coordinator of the Higher Education Commission – British Council Joint Cooperative Link in Higher Education Programme. This cooperative link in archaeology is between the University Peshawar and the University of Cambridge.
Since 2007/2008 he is conducting archaeological excavation at Aziz Dheri, a stupa and settlement site in ancient Gandhāra
2000. Buddhist Paintings in Gandhāra.
2006. Treasures from Kashmir Smast. The Earliest Shaiva Monastic Establishment.
2008. Coins from Kashmir Smast. New Numismatic Evidence.
2008. Kharoshthi Manuscripts from Gandhāra.
2008. Kharoshthi Manuscripts from Gandhara. (2nd edition 2009)
2010. The Sacred and the Secular. Investigating the Unique Stupa and Settlement Site of Aziz Dheri, Peshawar Valley, NWFP, Pakistan (3 vols)
- (1994). Rock-Carvings and Inscriptions at Helor Das. Antiquities of Northern Pakistan III: 201-211. Mainz, Germany.
- (1997). Iranian Symbols in the Rock-Carvings of the Upper Indus Valley. Atthariyyat (Archaeology), Vol. I, pp. 97-108. Peshawar
- (1997). Ashokan Inscriptions: A Palaeographical Study. Atthariyyat (Archaeology), I, 131-150. Peshawar
- (1998). Epigraphy in Pakistan. The Glory that was Pakistan. 50 Years of Archaeological Research in Pakistan, 39-44. Peshawar.
- (1998). Rock Art in Pakistan. The Glory that was Pakistan. 50 Years of Archaeological Research in Pakistan, 45-48. Peshawar.
- (1998). Fauna in the Rock-Carving site Thor North (Northern Areas of Pakistan). Ancient Pakistan, XII, 169-176.
- (1998). Some Thoughts on the Nature of the Gold Ornament From Pattan (Indus Kohistan). Ancient Pakistan, XII, 127-138.
- (1998). A Critical Note on the Stupa-like Structure in the Petroglyphs of the Upper Indus Valley. Ancient Pakistan, XII: 35-45.
- (1998). Inscribed Clay Tablets and Miniature Stupas from Hund. Ancient Pakistan, Vol. XII: 77-91. Peshawar
- (1999). A Proto-Sharada Inscription from Hund – Pakistan. Indo-Koko-Kenkyu----Indian Archaeological Studies, 20, 77-83.
- (1999). Two Dated Kharoshthi Inscriptions from Gandhara. Journal of Asian Civilizations (Journal of Central Asia), Vol. XXII, 1, July 1999, 99-103.
- (2000). An Inscribed Relic-Casket from Dir. The Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, V (1), March 1997, 21-33.
- (2000). Kharoshthi Inscription from Swabi - Gandhara. The Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 2, September 1997, 49-52.
- (2000). An Inscribed Image of Narasimha (Vishnu Avatara from Cheniot, Punjab – Pakistan. The Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences,VI (1), March 1998, 12-20.
- (2000). Epigraphy is a Source of Gandhara History. The Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, VI (2), September 1998: 30-45.
- (2000). Recent Discovery of Two More Kharoshthi Inscriptions from Gandhara. Ancient Pakistan, XIII, 1-6.
- (2000). A Wooden Sculpture of Bala Krishna from Gandhara. Ancient Pakistan, XIII, 26-34.
- (2000). Sharada Inscription from Mir Ali North Waziristan. A Preliminary Report. Ancient Pakistan, XIII, 35-39.
- (2000). Archaeological Discoveries in Darel. Muzot: An Iron Period Grave Culture Site. Ancient Pakistan, XIII, 19-119.
- (2000). Kanishka Relic-Casket from Qunduz, Northern-Afghanistan. Archaologische Mitteilungen Aus Iran und Turan, 31(1999), 191-198.
- (2000). Gupta Copper Plate Inscription from Sita Maha Kandara (Kashmir Smast) in Ancient Gandhara. Indo- Koko-Kenkyu----Indian Archaeological Studies, 21, 47-52.
- (2000). Problematic Inscribed Relief Panel in a Private Collection Showing Events from the Buddha’s Life. Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, VIII (1&2), 79-86.
- (2000). Rock-Carvings at Kinro-Kor: A Prehistoric Site of the Northern Areas of Pakistan. Lahore Museum Bulletin, XIII (2), J:uly-December 2000, 1-7.
- (2001). Brahmi Inscription of the ‘Year 78’ from Spina – South Waziristan. Indo-Koko-Kenkyu – Indian Archaeological Studies. 22, 111-115.
- (2002). Numismatic Evidence from Bhir Mound. Bhir Mound the First City of Taxila. 206-209. Islamabad
- (2003). Lajja Gauri Seals and related antiquities from Kashmir Smast. South Asian Studies, 18, 83-90.
- (2003). Exploration and Excavation at the Earliest Shivaite Monastic Establishment at Kashmir Smast. A Preliminary Report. Ancient Pakistan, XIV, 218-309.
- (2003). Re-interpretation of the Gupta Copper Plate Inscription from Kashmir Smast with the Discovery of Some More Epigraphic Evidences from Kashmir Smast – A Shivaite Cave Temple Site in Gandhara. Ancient Pakistan, XIV, 1-8.
- (2003). A Sharada inscription from Gandhara. Indo-Koko-Kenyku – Indian Archaeological Studies, 23, 83-86.
- (2003). Kashmir Smast: Discovery of the Earliest Shivaite Monastic Establishment in Pakistan. Circle of Inner Asian Art (CIAA), 8 (December 2003), 19-26.
- (2004). Vasutara and his Family in the Epigraphical Records of the Upper Indus Valley. Ancient Pakistan, XV, 157-172.
- (2004). A Short Note on Archaeological Discoveries in Chitral, Pakistan. Ancient Pakistan, XV, 179-185.
- (2004). Kharoshthi Inscribed Copper Plates from Rani Dab at Orakzai Agency in the Northwest Frontier Province of Pakistan. Ancient Pakistan, XV, 153-156.
- (2004). Buddhist Kharoshthi Manuscripts from Gandhara. Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, XII (1 & 2), 9-15.
- (2005). Kashmir Smast (Gandhara) and its Religious Significance. Study Based on Epigraphic and other Antiquities from the Site. South Asian Archaeology 2003. Proceeding of the Seventeenth International Conference of the European Association of South Asian Archaeologists (7-12 July 2003, Bonn). Edited by Ute Franke-Vogt and Hans-Joachim Weisshaar: 247-252. Germany
- (2005). Asmidesha (Manro Das): A Rock carving site in the region of Chilas – Upper Indus Valley, Northern Pakistan. Indo-Koko-Kenkyu – Indian Archaeological Studies, 26, 73-84.
- (2005). Terracotta Seals Impressions from Bala Hisar – Charsadda. Ancient Pakistan, XVI, 13-23.
- (2006). Some More Lajja Gauri Seals and Related Antiquities from Kashmir Smast. Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, XI (1 & 2), 7-12.
- (2006). Hindu Icons from Chinji, Chakwal – Pakistan. Ancient Pakistan, XVI: 9-18.
- (2007). Inscribed Oil lamps and other Kharoshthi Inscriptions from Gandhara. Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society, 17 (2), 131-138.
- (2007). The Coin Collection in the Royal Asiatic Society. James Tod’s Rajasthan, edited by Giles Tillotson, 80-85. MARG publication, India
- (2007). Kohi Script: Discovery of another ancient Indian writing system. Gandhāran Studies, 1, 89-118.
- (2007). Clay Models of Hindu Shrines from Ancient Gandhara. Kaladarpana. The Mirror of Indian Art. Essays in Memory of Shri Krishna Deva: 160-170. Aryan Books International, New Dehli
- (2008) (co-authored). Emulation at the Edge of Empire: the Adaptation of Non-Local Vessel Forms in the NWFP, Pakistan, during the mid-late 1st Millennium BC. Gandharan Studies, 2, 1-16.
- (2008). Excavation at Aziz Dheri – A Stupa Settlement Site in Ancient Gandhara. Glimpses from Field Campaigns 1993 and 2007/08. Gandharan Studies, 2, 71-123.
- (2008). Kharoshthi inscriptions from Aziz Dheri. Study and Analysis. Ancient Pakistan, XIX, 31-42.
- (2009). Painted Inscriptions from Kashmir-Smast - Study and Analysis. Gandharan Studies, 3, 127-159.
- (2009). The Will of Aurangzeb (1658-1707): A Rare Document. Gandharan Studies, 3, 171-188.
- (2010). Wima Takto – One or Two. Archaeological and Numismatic Evidence from Gandhara. Gandharan Studies, 4, 11-30.
- (2010). Seals and Sealings from Kashmir Smast and its Surrounding Areas. Gandharan Studies, 4, 193-202.
- (2010). Kharoshthi Inscriptions from Aziz Dheri. Study and Analysis. Ancient Punjab, I, 88-96.
- (2010). Playing with rings –Siddhārtha and Yaśodharā - A relief panel from Aziz Dheri Revisited. Ancient Pakistan, XX, 35-47.
- (2011). (Co-authored). Archaeological Survey of Charsadda District in the Peshawar Valley. Ancient Pakistan, XXII, 17-97.
- (2011). Terracotta heads from ancient Gandhara. Ancient Pakistan, XXII, 99-110.
- (2011). Hydrological Setup at Kashmir Exploration and Excavation at Kashmir Smast, Field Campaign 2006/2007 - A Preliminary Report. Gandharan Studies, 5, 89-114.
- (2011). Islamic Period Coins from Kashmir Smast - New Evidence on the Early Arrival of Muslims in Gandhāra. Peshawar Islamicus, 5 (in press).
- (2012). Exploration and Excavation at Kashmir Smast Excavation Inside the Great Cave (Campaign 2010/2011). Gandharan Studies, 6, 37-54.
- (2012). Khan, G.R., and Khan Nasim, M. Copper Coins of Vima Kadphises in the National Museum of Pakistan, Karachi. Ancient Pakistan, XXIII, 107-119.
- (2013). Jewelry Hoard from Palai - Malakand (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa). Tracing Parallels in the Buddhist Art of Gandhāra. Gandharan Studies, 7: 43-58.
- (2013). The Early Arrival of Muslims in Ancient Gandhāra Study Based on Numismatic Evidence from Kashmir Smast. Gandharan Studies, 7: 115-129.
- (2014). The Sacred and the Secular. Excavation at the Buddhist Site of Aziz Dheri (Preliminary Results of the Filed Campaign 2011/2012). Collection of Papers of 2014 International Symposium on Dazu Studies and the 70th Anniversary Celebrating the 1st Investigation into Dazu Rock Carvings: 55-72.
- (2015). Cross cultural Communication between Gandhara and China Before the 9th Century AD – New Archaeological Evidence. Submitted for publication in the Proceeding of the 2nd International Conference of “Religion and Peoples, Silk Road 1” (27-28th March, 2015). Organised by the Geumgang Centre for Buddhist Studies, Chungchoengnam-do, South Korea.
- (2015). Recent Archaeological Discoveries in Gandhara. To be published under Inaugural Archaeological Series, Pulau Pinang: Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia